Open Call for Photographic Work
Now You Don’t: Photography and Extinction
Submissions are now closed.
Deadline: Sunday, July 15, 2018
Entry fee: $5 for 3 images
The degree of ecological unraveling now underway has no precedent in human experience. Due chiefly to habitat loss, invasive species, human overpopulation, pollution, and overharvesting, experts fear that nearly half of all species currently living on earth may be extinct in thirty to forty years.
What does it mean to watch species disappear? What does this disappearance look like? How can ecosystems and their destabilization be visualized? How are the causes, effects, and issues related to extinction being documented and/or interpreted within photographic media?
In the In-Between is seeking photographic work of all types that register this extinction crisis.
Submissions may address, but are not limited to, the following topics:
- Endangered/threatened/vulnerable species and ecosystems
- Causes and effects of mass extinction
- Conservation efforts
- Interspecies ethics and care
- Animal remains and fossils
- The loss of non-plants and non-animals (such as invertebrates or fungi)
- Degradation of culturally meaningful ecosystems
- Direct and indirect effects of human activity on natural ecosystems
- Tensions between documentary and artistic photographic modes
- Issues of human violence against animals
- Ethical implications of environmental aesthetics
- Strategies for mobilizing compassion for sentient beings
- Human extinction
Guidelines & Requirements:
- This exhibition is open to all photographic processes.
- Up to three jpegs sized to 72dpi and 1000px on the longest side.
- File labeling: Lastname_Firstname_number (ex: doe_jane_01, doe_jane_02, doe_jane_3)
- Statement (1-2 paragraphs)
- Artist Bio (1-2 paragraphs)
- A $5 submission fee is requested to offset administrative costs.
Selected entries will be included in the online exhibition Now You Don’t: Photography and Extinction. The exhibition will open late summer/fall 2018 on In the In-Between.
Submission deadline: Sunday, July 15, 2018.
Acceptance notifications: Sunday, July 22, 2018
Hi-res images due: Thursday, July 29, 2018
Publication/opening: Late Summer 2018
About the juror:
Stephanie Amon’s background is in exhibitions direction, curatorial research, and museum education. Her writing about contemporary photography has appeared in Afterimage: The Journal of Media Arts & Cultural Criticism and in Anastasia Samoylova: Landscape Sublime, volume 2 of In the In-Between’s book series. For more, visit www.stephanieamon.com.
Gregory Eddi Jones, Editor
editor (@) inthein-between (dot) com
*Submissions sent to this email address will not be considered. Please fill out the submission form below.